Saturday, September 14, 2019

A Postcard to Mindset

Dear Mindset, 

David Foster Wallace says that "the most obvious, ubiquitous, important realities are often the ones that are the hardest to see and talk about." He is referring to this "default setting" or... you Mindset. He goes on to talk about how the reality is that we all have this natural default setting that makes us self-centered and automatically see the worst in everything. He uses the very mundane, boring, and dull example of shopping at the supermarket after work to explain what he means. The character in this supermarket scenario is disgusted with and angry about everything they encounter in their shopping trip. The traffic is too crowded and slow, the bumper stickers are offensive and annoying, and the people are inconsiderate and stupid. That is the reality they created in their mind. Their mindset is super negative and they see everything as an inconvenience to them instead of thinking of others. 



I have always had this unparalleled ability to think negatively. I also realized I usually only think about my self-interests and not others' first. Wallace's message is that this is so natural to us, we don't even realize that we constantly think like this. I'm here to tell you today Mindset, that you don't own me anymore. You will not control me. I have the power to let you destroy my thoughts and perceptions, and in the process my happiness and generosity, but I also have the power to let you help me see the beauty in this world. Instead of a crowded supermarket, I will see a common gathering place that I am lucky enough to afford and go to. Instead of a really hard class, I will see an opportunity to learn and improve my skills. Instead of saying the person with the snarky comments is a jerk, I will think that maybe they are having a bad day first. 

Recently in my creative writing class we learned strategies to make our writing better. One that I had already used was "turn the mundane into the miraculous." This means taking the tiniest detail and turning it into a really interesting and exciting story. The same thing can be done with your mindset. Take your negative and irritated thoughts and attitude about the mundane, boring, and dull everyday occurrences, and turn them into them into something miraculous. Let your frustration fall on the route to the further supermarket where the bagger with autism works. Go in and give him a smile and some groceries to bag, because he likes that. Take your anger about your bad test grade, and let it give a tutor who needs the money a really good client. Do this, and the true miracle will be that you conquered your default setting and your negative mindset! Sorry, but not sorry Mindset. You're gonna have to put on a dress now because you are the beautiful in my mind now. 



Sincerely, 
Brenna 

2 comments:

  1. yes brenna i am loving this push for change!!!!! i was also feeling very inspired this last week. sometimes these things only last for a little bit, like your new years resolutions... but i want to be stern and confident with myself that i can push through and implement new things into my life. this is amazing and i support youuuuu!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Brenna! I really liked the saying "turn the mundane into the miraculous." If we always see something such as getting groceries as a chore, it will be very unpleasant. However, if we think of it as miraculous that we are able to go to a supermarket that is close to where we live and get whatever we want, then we might even enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Pockets Worn & Pockets Torn

Alice Walker when she wrote the book in 1982. She is 75 years old now!  Pockets worn and pockets torn - a perfect summary of The ...