Friday, September 20, 2019

A Pocketful of Passion



As a girl, it only makes sense that I am passionate about feminism and supporting other girls and women. For this reason, the piece Woman Warrior really stood out to me. What I loved most about it, was the theme - that femininity can represent power, despite the societal myth that it can't. This myth really, really angers me. It is 2019 and there is still so much sexism against women! Women still get paid less in most jobs compared to men. Women have completely lower glass ceilings that we are expected to let keep us down. This just spells U-N-F-A-I-R in all caps!

I'd like to start off by saying that, I am not good at talking to people and I am extremely introverted, but despite that, I have always prided myself in my ability to stand up for myself. I do not let people make assumptions about me based on my gender, and if they do, then I call them out on it! Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't be in advanced math. Also, I'm a girl that loves English, I don't love English because I'm a girl. I love math too! Why are people still shocked when a girl says that? Am I not allowed to love math because of my gender? The first step in putting an end to sexism is standing up for yourself girls! Luckily, we have gotten so much better at that!

I also don't let people give me extra work just because I'm a girl. I don't care what anyone says, there are not "girl's jobs." It is not my job to clean the house, have a child, or do your laundry. Kingston showed how things that society considers "women's jobs" are really women's powers. When the woman warrior had a baby right on the battlefield, nothing could've evidenced a women's feminine power more. This is why Kingston spoke to me so much when she said "Do the women's work; then do more work, which will become ours too." Kingston is spot on when she says that women are asked to do more work, and then what was supposed to be a one time favor, turns into their permanent job. I have been there! There is nothing more frustrating than trying to be helpful, and then someone just hands the whole project over to you! She then goes on to talk about how husbands aren't expected to (and therefore usually don't) think about or make sacrifices for their wives and children first, saying; "Nobody supports me at the expense of his own adventure... I am not loved enough to be supported." This also really hit home for me because I live this situation every day. I am not always supported or listened to. I am given menial work so that someone else doesn't have to actually do their job. My experiences plus Kingston's, made me realize that the automatic delegating of the menial work to women, happens to so many of us!

With that, it was Kingston's response towards the conclusion that was the most powerful. It was extremely inspirational because it once again hit home for me. She said she "burn[s] the food when [she] cook[s]. [She does] not feed people. [She] let[s] the dirty dishes rot." I have also rebelled like this before because the best way to protest what you don't like is to STOP doing it! Kingston was expected to cook and clean so she just stopped doing it! Through this example, Kingston proved just how powerful and strong women can be - especially considering the courage it takes to stand up against societal expectations! So calling all my girls who are reading this; stop doing what you are expected to do and do what YOU WANT to do! Do what you want to do because you can - because femininity is a power!


4 comments:

  1. Brenna! I love this post so much wow. There have been times, when at debate conferences, I'll say the exact same thing as the guy next to me, but no one listens. You inspire me to also stand up for myself when faced with some of the slightly sexist stuff that inevitably comes our way. I think what strikes me most about Kingston is how unapologetic she is in embracing her femininity - reclaiming it for herself and not for others to mock or simply find beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenna I really admire your stance and the power in your voice as I read this. Almost every time I enter a new setting with new people I think of how being A muslim women will affect my power or voice in that setting. Knowing that you and others are so supportive is really helpful and brightens my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenna, I really love your passion in your writing! Your writing is really inspiring and empowers women stand up for themselves and not be submissive to sexism. Ir encourages them to assert their power to accomplish their goals.

    ReplyDelete

Pockets Worn & Pockets Torn

Alice Walker when she wrote the book in 1982. She is 75 years old now!  Pockets worn and pockets torn - a perfect summary of The ...